Saturday, June 25, 2011

It tastes like chicken. Maybe.

 It does not seem altogether unreasonable to assume that dinosaurs taste like chicken. At least some of them, the more bird - like ones, like raptors. Archeopteryx had feathers, and looked a lot like a bird. They (dinosaur nerds) say that birds are the evolutionary remnants of dinosaurs - their only descendants.
 Of course, one must consider the fact that, while many birds do taste like chicken - many do not. For example, the common pigeon. I have eaten lots of fat, corn-fed pigeons, and they taste almost exactly like premium grass-fed beef. Yes- beef.  The brainless ruffed grouse, who stands in the road so my car bumper will knock him in the head, and I can take him home and eat him, tastes like the most delicate, tender frog legs ever to hop into my belly. But don't frog legs taste like chicken? Yeah, they do. But better. Much better. Turkey tastes like turkey - unless it's wild turkey, and then it tastes a lot like duck. Duck tastes like doves, which taste kinda like chicken liver, which is usually part of a...chicken. Goose is kinda like...well, not really so much different than a wild turkey - or a duck, but kinda not as good as either, especially the Canada Goose. Don't get me started on those honking poop-machines, which, by the way - are not worth the trouble. A lot of trouble. I have even eaten songbirds. Yeah, I did. I was curious, and they got in the way. They taste like a dove. Or a pigeon. Or something in between. Pheasant tastes like really dark...chicken.
 Then, we must consider some of the non-birds that taste like chicken, such as the alligator. Oh, boy. This is a prehistoric reptile not even remotely related to birds or dinosaurs, yet- it tastes pretty much like chicken, a little rubbery, but very chicken-like. I have heard that rattlesnake tastes like chicken, but have not had the chance to try it, somehow...hmmm. Even shark has a texture somewhat similar to chicken. So does swordfish. Of course, as I said before, frog legs do taste like sweet, tender chicken. You can get the best ones ever made, at the Frog Hut in Wellsboro, PA. They cook them up just like really good, uh...chicken wings. Some people say tortoise tastes like chicken, because it does - except for the white neck-meat, which tastes more like crab meat than crab meat does. Bald Eagle tastes just like chicken. Yeah, I'm just screwing with you on that one, but they probably do.
 So, anyhow, back to dinosaurs. Since it seems like most birds have an equal chance of tasting like chicken or some crazy non-bird other animal, and lots of completely un-bird-related animals taste a lot like chicken, I have to conclude that perhaps it actually IS quite unreasonable to assume that dinosaurs taste like chicken.

  Man. That's convoluted.
    

7 comments:

  1. I beg to differ. Rattlesnake tastes like rattlesnake and frog legs taste like frog legs. To put all these tastes into just a couple of food groups is "epicurious" at best. Next you will be saying broccoli tastes like chicken. Maybe you should just go help yourself to a nice glass of liquid sucked from the mammary glands of a bovine. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deb, it looks like somebody woke up on the grumpy side of the bed! Maybe you better have some coffee, and a nice breakfast. Maybe some bacon-it tastes just like chicken, you know...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Broccoli DOES taste like chicken. What planet do YOU live on?

    ReplyDelete
  4. you seem to be obsessed with stuff that tastes like chicken

    ReplyDelete
  5. Squirrel, you may be right. How about you send me an email to let me know if there is anything chicken-flavored ON THE MOON!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LMAO... The dialogue between you and Deb is as good as the story itself! I stared eating chicken again after cooking one for my kennel coughing newly adopted dog need sustenance, and since chicken is a cure all food, I offered it and she loved it. And so did I... I was on a self imposed fish only thing for years. Not any more. Life without chicken is like, well, life without dinosaurs, I guess... Great story!!!

    ReplyDelete